Pigots 1840 - Kent

Queenborough


Home     


 

Once a market town, and a still a corporate borough, in the parish of its name, liberty of the Isle of Sheppy and lathe of Scray is 45 miles SE from London and 15 NE from Maidstone – situated near the West Swale, a river that is here navigable. Edward III, on visiting the place, gave it its present appellation, in honour of his queen, Philippa; he also conferred on it a charter of incorporation, but that under which it is at present governed was obtained from Charles I; the corporation consists of a mayor, four jurats and two bailiffs. With a recorder, chamberlain and other officers. From the 13th year of Elizabeth, the borough returned two members to Parliament, until the passing of the Reform Act by which it was disfranchised. The principal dependence of the inhabitants is upon an extensive and prolific oyster fishery, which is under the control and management of the corporation. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a venerable and commodious structure; the benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the corporation. There is a place of worship for Independents, and a school for the sons of freemen, supported chiefly by members of the corporation. Two markets and two annual fairs were granted to Queenborough by Edward III; the markets have not been observed for many years; but one fair is held, on the 5th August. The parish contained in 1831, only 786 inhabitants.

 

POST OFFICE – at the Ship Inn, George HALL, Postmaster. Letters arrive (by foot post from Sittingbourne), every morning at seven and are despatched every evening at seven.

 

GENTRY & CLERGY

 

BOWMAN Rev James,

BREEZE Rev Scott James

GREET Mrs Ann

 

PUBLIC HOUSES

 

Castle, William HORN

Ordnance Arms, George HALL

Rose, William GOODING

Ship, George HALL

 

SHOPKEEPERS, TRADERS &c.

 

AUGER Joseph, carpenter

BATCHELOR James, painter & glazier

BOWTON James, water bailiff

BREEZE Scott James, tailor

COLE John, coal merchant

COLE William, shipwright

EMPTAGE John, parish clerk

FAIRHALL Robert, bricklayer

FENNER Robert, coal merchant

GEORGE William, dairyman

HALL Josiah, carpenter

HALL William, coal & lime merchant

HART William, shoemaker

KNEWSTUB John, baker

LOCKYER Thomas, dairyman

NAYLOR Eleanor, shopkeeper

PELLATT Stephen, tailor

PENNALL Henry, master of Free School

PORTER John, shoemaker

POTTER James, dairyman

PRICE William, baker

RAKE Henry, fruiterer

RAMSDEN George & Edward, copperas manufacturers

ROGERSON James, butcher

SEXTON James, grocer & boat builder

SKEY Edward, cement, stone & coal merchant

SKEY William Richard, grocer

SPAIN Thomas, miller

 

COACHES & CARRIERS - see Sheerness

 

CONVEYANCE BY WATER

 

To London, Hoys are freighted occasionally, and Vessels in the oyster trade are continually departing.

 


This page was last updated on 09-May-2010.

Copyright © 2008 Janet & Richard Mason.