Pigots 1840 - Kent

Aylesford


Home     


 

Is a village and parish, in the hundred of Larkfield, and lathe of its name; 34 miles SE from London and 3½ NNW from Maidstone; situate on the bank of the river Medway, over which is a stone bridge of six arches. It is a place of considerable antiquity, and in early times has been the scene sanguinary conflicts; it was at Fenham, in this parish, that Alfred defeats the Danes; and Edmund IRONSIDE pursued these invaders to this place, and drove them hence to Sheppy. In 1240 a Carmelite monastery was founded here by Ralph FRISBURN, many parts of which are still entire.  At Horsted is a monument of upright stones, erected, as is supposed, to the memory of Horsa, the brother of Hengist; and three miles distance is another called “Kits Cotty-house” to the memory of Certigorn, brother of Vortimer, who was slain with that prince at the battle with Hengist and Horsa. A paper mill is the only manufactory of the place. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to St Peter, and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. The living of Aylesford is a vicarage, in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Rochester. The charities consist of an endowed school and a hospital founded in 1617, for six aged persons. Aylesford confers the title of earl on the family of FINCH. “Priory” the beautiful seat of the present earl is in this parish. The population of the parish, by the Parliamentary returns for 1831, was 1301.

 

POST OFFICE – Richard COSSOM, Postmaster. Letters from London, and all parts, arrive (by foot post from Maidstone), every morning at seven and are despatched every evening at six.

 

NOBILITY, GENTRY & CLERGY

 

ABBOTT Mr Thomas, Aylesford

AYLESFORD the Right Hon. The Earl of, Priory

CHARLTON Mrs Mary, Aylesford

INGE John esq, Aylesford

MILNER Charles esq, Preston hall

ROBSON Thomas esq, Aylesford

STAINES Rev William Talbott, Aylesford

TOWNSEND Rev. Richard, Aylesford

 

PROFESSIONAL PERSONS

 

BARNES Mary, ladies boarding school,

DENNIS Ralph, surgeon

WAGON John, master of the National School

 

PUBLIC HOUSES

 

Anchor, Henry BAKER

Chequers, Humphrey WICKENDEN

George, John FRENCH, Mill hall

George, William JUPP

 

SHOPKEEPERS & TRADERS

 

ARNOLD Samuel & George, grocers

BAKER Samuel, plumber, painter &c.

COPPER Charles, grocer

COSSOM Richard, shoe maker

FORDHAM Thomas, butcher

GOLDSMITH Edward, butcher

GRICE Edward, shoe maker

GROOMBRIDGE Elizabeth, baker

JERRETT Edward, baker

JOY John, saddler

KEMSEY Jas, wheelwright & blacksmith

KNOWLES William, tallow chandler

LAVENDER John, paper manufacturer, Forestall mill

PAGE William, carpenter

PERRIN George, carpenter & tea dealer

REES Evan, tailor

SAMSON Richard, miller

SEAGAR William, baker

SMITH James, grocer & tailor

SPONG Thomas, coal merchant

STRETTON William, bricklayer

WEBB Thomas, barge builder & blacksmith

WESTBROOK Jas. brewer, and coal and stone merchant

 

COACHES

 

To and from London, Maidstone, Rochester &c. pass within a mile of Aylesford daily.

  


This page was last updated on 09-May-2010.

Copyright © 2008 Janet & Richard Mason.