Isle of Thanet Kelly's Directory 1936

Broadstairs & St Peters


Home     


Private residents -  A to C      D to F      G to I      J to L      M to O      P to R      S to U      V to Z

Commercial directory - A to C      D to F      G to I      J to L      M to O      P to R      S to U      V to Z


Broadstairs

The town, which includes St Peters, North Foreland, Kingsgate and Dumpton, is under the administration of an Urban District Council; the Urban District comprises four wards, viz. - Central, Pierremont, St Peters & Kingsgate, each ward returning 3 members.

The Harbour and Pier are sheltered. 

The Urban District Council provide a central  public bathing station at the main Bay and others at Louisa Bay, Dumpton Bay, Kingsgate Bay, Botany Bay, Stone bay and Joss Bay. The Victoria Gardens are on the cliff.

There are various Charitable Institutions among them are St Mary's Convalescent Home and Orphanage for the Children of the Poor, which was opened in 1886, and The Convalescent Home of the Victoria Hospital for Children at Chelsea, which was opened in 1892 by the Princess Louise. On the road to Ramsgate there is the Alfred Yarrow Home and Hospital for Children. The Buckmaster Memorial Home for ladies in reduced circumstances, is situated on the West Cliff. The Wainwright Children's Home is on the Eastern Esplanade. There is also the Thomas Turner Convalescent Home in connection with the Church of England Waifs and Strays Society, in Stone Road.

The pier, sands, Garden on the Sands, with adjoining pavilion and York Gate house are all under the control of Broadstairs and St Peters Urban District Council. The Council have 13 lawn tennis courts at St Peters Recreation Ground and a 6 rink bowling green at the Memorial Recreation Ground.

In 1932 the Council acquired Kingsgate Bay and the foreshore at Botany Bay on the Broadstairs and Margate boundary. The late Lord Northcliffes North Foreland Estate was purchased by the council in 1935. The Estate comprises some 263 acres and includes the North Foreland Golf Course and the foreshore from Broadstairs Pier to Hackemdown Point.

On the north cliff near the harbour is Bleak House, where Charles Dickens resided. There is a medallion portrait with inscription on the outside of the building facing the sea in commemoration of the great writer.

The Parish Church dedicated to the Holy Trinity and standing near the harbour was erected in 1829 as a chapel of ease to St Peters; it was enlarged in 1857 and again in 1915. It was assigned a separate ecclesiastical district and created a rectory by Act of Parliament in 1866. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £420 with residence. It is in the gift of the Vicar of St Peters and has been held since 1935 by the Rev. Charles Henry Bailey M.C., M.A. of University College Oxford.

Christ Church (Free Church of England) which was erected as a memorial to Bishop Dicksee D.D. is in Osborne Road.

The chapels are - the Baptist Chapel in Queens Road; the Baptist Chapel in High Street; the Methodist Church in York Street, close to the Post Office, a handsome Gothic building with a graceful spire; the Congregational Church in The Vale and the Roman Catholic Church of "Our Lady Star of the Sea" in Broadstairs Road.

North Foreland Golf Club Ltd established in 1915 has two 18 hole courses (one 6,136 yards and the other 1,752 yards), 1½ miles from Broadstairs and Margate; there are 250 members; subscription 10 and 5 guineas; there are also four en tout cas hard tennis courts.

The Tramway system runs close to the Railway Station; it runs through the town to the Victoria Gardens, and thence on to Ramsgate.

There is a lift from the sands to the cliff.

Pierremont Hall at the west entrance to Broadstairs on the road from St Peters was very often the residence of the Duchess of Kent and Queen Victoria when a child. The house is now used as the Council offices. A portion of the adjoining estate was purchased by the Council and laid out as a park and recreation ground, now known as Pierremont Pleasure Grounds.

The area of the Urban District was in 1914 extended to include the parish of St Peter Extra. Under the County of Kent Review Order 1935 part of the Urban District was transferred to Margate and part to Ramsgate and part of the borough of Ramsgate and part of the parish of Garlinge were transferred to the Urban District of Broadstairs and Saint Peters. The area of the Urban District exceeds 3,030 acres. The population in 1931 was 12,748.

St Peters

The Church dedicated to St Peter the Apostle stands at the upper or western end of the village, and contains several ancient brasses, including one on the south wall of the nave, consisting of two figures of Richard Culmer and his wife dated 1485 and describing him as a Carpentarius; there is a stone in the churchyard setting forth the marvellous strength of Richard Joy who died in 1784 and was known as the Kentish Samson. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £799 with residence. It is in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and has been held since 1930 by the Rev. K Percival Smith M.C., M.A. of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge and rural dean of Thanet. The church of St Andrew at Reading Street is a chapel of ease to St Peter the Apostle. The Rev. Gilbert Angus Finch is priest in charge. The Baptist Church adjoins the parish church in Vicarage Street, the Providence Baptist Chapel is in Reading Street, and the Methodist Church is in Ranelagh Grove.

Nuckells Almshouses are in High Street.

Archbishop Taits School and Convalescent Home in Lanthorne Road were founded in 1869 by Mrs Tait, the wife of the former Archbishop of Canterbury; the Metropolitan Convalescent Institution (Children's Branch) is a fine block of buildings also in Lanthorne Road.

The Buffs Cottages at Rumfields, St Peter opened in 1906, consist of four cottages, erected to the memory of the officers and men of 2nd Battalion The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) who fell in the South African War and are for disabled members of that regiment.

Kingsgate

Is at the north east point of Thanet. Kingsgate Castle on a brow of the hill, has a sea view at the north and is surrounded with trees; there is a convent, or an imitation of one, and other imitations of buildings of a long past age, which were built by Lord Holland, may be seen around. The Castle is now a residential hotel.

The sea is encroaching at this part of the coast.

At the corner, a little further on, is Stone House, which was the residence of Archbishop Tait, and the large building nearer St Peters is Archbishop Taits School and Convalescent Home.

Northdown

Lies east of Margate. The Whitfield Tower at Northdown marks the highest altitude in Thanet. In the park on the left is Northdown, the mansion of Capt. James Irvine Hatfeild Friend O.B.E., M.C., J.P. opposite the entrance gates of which on the main road is a church erected by James Taddy Friend esq. D.L., J.P. and dedicated to St Mary. The church is served by the clergy of the parish church of St John the Baptist, Margate, to which it is attached.


This page was last updated on 03-May-2010.

Copyright © 2008 Janet & Richard Mason.